I came across a document recently where a date was being loaded from a text field in YYYYMMDD format. The developer had used left, right and mid functions along with MakeDate to parse the date.
This is something that I might have done myself several years ago - before I knew better. I wondered to myself if there would be much of a load speed differential between this method and Date# - which is the method that I would use today. So I did some testing.
This particular machine was running v9 so it could have used some load speed tweaking. I took a data set of 3 million records and compared both using the two methods. The left, right, mid method took about 2 minutes (not a fast machine). The Date# method was under 1:30 - 3/4 the time for the other method.
I wonder if you went back and reviewed some of your old code, if you might speed it up a little by just doing things better, just because you now know better.
Stephen Redmond is CTO of CapricornVentis a QlikView Elite Partner